This is the third of our Talk and Total quizzes on the subject of Down syndrome and how it relates to child development. To browse through all of our quizzes on this topic and others, visit our Quiz Page: Browse our other quizzes.
Take the Quiz:
To assist the young infant and toddler with Down syndrome in developing oral-motor skills, several treatment techniques are recommended. Which of the following is not a recommended technique?
It is now understood by many scientists that early intervention can make a significant change in the cognitive function of children with Down syndrome. Which of the following techniques describes this change in the cognitive function?
It has been noted that “Play is the brain’s way of learning.” Play behavior can be used to develop language, communication, and cognitive skills. Which of the following is not a true statement about play behavior?
- Play is a universal human activity
- Play is one of the most significant cognitive developments in early childhood, and a precursor of representational thought and language
- Children with DS have difficulty in imaginative play skills because of their language impairment
- Children with DS play at a similar developmental stage as that of younger typically developing peers, only delayed some
Children with Down syndrome often have more inconsistent speech productions. The same child might produce a single word 3 or 4 different ways during a single conversation. This inconsistency in speech production affects the listener’s ability to understand what the child is saying. Which of the following is an approach for assisting the child in improving speech intelligibility?
Reading is a means to assist the child with Down syndrome in a variety of areas. All of the following are true statements except for one. Which is that one non-true statement?
- Reading improves a child’s vocabulary by exposing him/her to new words and concepts
- Reading requires knowledge of the alphabet and phonics
- Reading improves articulation by introducing the child to letters and sounds in words
- Reading improves comprehension and understanding of concepts associated or formulated with abstract ideas
Joint-book reading is a powerful means of teaching. It is recommended that parents and children read books daily in order to improve the child’s skills in which of the following area?
You still have some questions left to finish. Click on the numbers above to browse through these questions.